Safe and healthy childbirth requires proper medical attention and supervision. The expense for maternity care can be unexpectedly expensive if not planned properly under the health insurance policy.
Childbirth has to be financially planned to make it more comfortable and healthy for the mother and her baby. With expansive awareness being promoted all over the country, a Maternity health insurance policy is being valued by many couples. Maternity care is of utmost importance for the mother and child. The medical care during pregnancy, during childbirth and after childbirth is expensive is just like other medical expenses. Having Maternity insurance will keep any kind of financial constraints at bay and there will be no compromise regarding the child and mother’s health.
Maternity Health Insurance has its own features that you must know before planning to purchase one. Here are the factors about Maternity Health Insurance in India:
What does Maternity health insurance cover?
Maternity Health Insurance should cover all kinds of expenses regarding pregnancy from hospitalization, termination of pregnancy pre and postnatal expenses etc. The four primary Maternity expenses include the following:
- Pre and post Hospitalization– The expenses of Pre-hospitalization are covered up to 30 days before delivery. And also a 60 days post-hospitalization period is also covered under the maternity health insurance policy.
- Delivery expenses including pre and postnatal- A Maternity Health Insurance should cover both cesarean and normal delivery. The treatment for post-delivery complications of a mother is also covered under the same insurance policy.
- Hospital expenses the hospital expenses usually include the bed charge, nurse and surgeon fees, anesthetist consultation fees, medical practitioner fee, ambulance charges (if needed) etc.
- The newborn baby is covered up to 90 days from birth- Any complications or health issues in a newborn baby is covered between the 1st to the 90th day by the Maternity Health Insurance.
What are a waiting period and subunits of a Maternity health insurance plan?
There are very few insurance companies that have a waiting period of 9 months before you can claim the sum assured by your Maternity insurance policy. Most of the insurance companies have a waiting period of up to 6 years. Some have the waiting period between 2 to 4 years. So it is advisable for you to purchase a Maternity health cover as soon as possible. Many young couples have started planning their family right after marriage so they buy the Maternity health policy accordingly.
What are the exclusions made from a Maternity health cover?
Maternity insurance also come to with certain exclusions and limitations that are given below:
- The limit of a Maternity and newborn policy claim for a cesarean birth is between Rs. 25000 to 50000. While the claim for a normal delivery is quoted between Rs. 15000 to 30000.
- The age limit of the insurers is up to 45 years. Mothers beyond 45 years cannot be insured by Maternity Benefit cover.
- If a pregnancy is terminated within 12 weeks from the date of conception then it is not covered by the Maternity health insurance policy.
- The medical expenses for pregnancy carrot bye artificial insemination and IVF is not covered by Maternity insurance policy.
How are the premiums determined for Maternity Health Insurance?
The only drawback for a Maternity health insurance policy is that the premiums are much higher than regular health insurance policies. The reason for the premiums to be this high is because you will certainly need the assured sum in beyond the waiting period. The premiums are determined according to the age of the insurer.